Brown and Keogh double up on packed GT5 and GRDC+ Sunday

R&J Motorsport’s Lewis Brown won the Protyre Motorsport GT5 Challenge element of both the second and third combined GT5 and GRDC+ races of the weekend, while Rob Keogh pulled off a similar double in GRDC+.

In race two, the first time they came around polesitter Shane Stoney (Richardson Racing) had dropped to third, second-place starter Ryan Hadfield was in the lead and Brown had vaulted into second, having started from fifth

But Brown had moved into the lead by the end of lap three and he didn’t lose the position after that, eventually crossing the line 1.5 seconds clear of Stoney, who finished second.

Stoney got into that position following a thrilling, wheel-banging battle with Hadfield. The latter then dropped back slightly, which saw him get involved in an equally nail-biting scrap for third, fourth and fifth positions with Xentek duo Nick Zapolski and Simon Traves.

Nothing was settled until the line, when the trio took the flag almost neck-and-neck for a ‘photo finish’ that saw Traves just shade third from Hadfield in fourth and Zapolski in fifth.

Ollie Wilkinson (Optimum Motorsport) finished a strong sixth, while Luke Pinder ran as high as fifth before dropping to 10th on lap three and then recovering to seventh at the flag amid some busy midfield battling. This also involved, among others, Matt Flowers, Max Bird (Century), Angus Fender (GBT) and Katie Milner (Team OneCall), who filled out positions eight to 11 at the end.

In contrast to the furious GT5 Challenge action, the frontrunners of the GRDC+ contingent had a more straightforward second race of the weekend, although Jack Oliphant (Want2Race) and Rob Keogh did trade the lead at least once in the course of the 15-minute combined-grid race, before the latter emerged in front.

Team Country End driver Richard Tetlow kept a watching brief in third, heading home championship leader Michael Crees (Want2Race), SF Racing’s Shawn Fleming and Fox Racing’s Gary Wager.

The third race, which saw the top 10 finishers from the previous encounter start in reverse order, was unfortunately limited to just three laps by the 6pm curfew at Silverstone, as it had to be held at the end of the scheduled timetable after the second race was postponed from the morning.

Brown won again here, popping up in second by lap two having started on the fifth row of the grid. Stoney was second once again, finishing ahead of second-place starter Bird.

Wilkinson was fourth this time out, ahead of Traves and Milner in fifth and sixth, Zapolski and Matt Palmer in seventh and eighth, and Flowers and Hadfield ninth and 10th.

Elsewhere, although Luke Pinder started fourth and battled at the front of the field on track in race three, a penalty was applied to both his and Angus Fender’s times post-race for being out of position on the starting grid and they were officially classified 12th and 15th.

Once again in GRDC+ it was Keogh in front in the final race, although this time Crees managed to nab second, ahead of Wager, Fleming, Tetlow and Triple V’s David Holloway, who rounded out the GRDC+ top six.