Pointon Takes Over SuperCup Lead Following Maiden Win

Callum Pointon ends the opening day of Doninton Park’s Michelin Ginetta GT4 SuperCup action as the points leader after his maiden win in the championship. In the AM class meanwhile, Colin White regains the championship advantage after another victory.

Qualifying was a mixed affair, with a red flag at the halfway point interrupting proceedings. Poleman George Gamble set his hot lap early on, posting a 1:09.116s time on lap six, which none of the other drivers managed to top. Green, in second, managed to close the gap towards the end of the session but remained on the front row nevertheless.

Boardley and Pointon claimed the second row of the grid, whilst new boys Roche and Ladell ended the session fifth and sixth. In the AM class, Jac Constable took pole position following an incredibly strong run. Grahame Tilley finished the session second, with Ian Robinson, Colin White and Alex Taylor completing the top five in that order.

Race one saw a textbook start for Boardley who snatched the race lead as the pack piled into Redgate for the first time. Green, having started second, followed the leader through nudging Gamble down the order into third. As the trio fought for the lead, Green and Gamble made contact and ended up running through the gravel at Redgate. Green recovered – albeit to the back of the pack – but Gamble’s race was brought to an early end. After a brief safety car period, racing recommenced on lap seven and Green really got the hammer down. Carving his way through the AM class field, he managed to pick off Perez to pick up a handful of crucial PRO class points.

Up front, Pointon challenged Boardley at every opportunity, allowing Roche to chase down the leaders on his SuperCup debut. Boardley defended hard. Too hard in the eyes of the stewards, as he was hit with a five second time penalty after crossing the line, dropping him to fifth and handing the win to Pointon, who took the championship lead as a result.

The penalty also saw Roche move into second, earning the Laser Tools Racing driver a podium on his G55 debut. Continuing the momentum he started in the final outing at Brands Hatch a fortnight ago, Ladell was back on the podium after finishing third, just a fraction up the road from a chasing Jones.

In the AM class, White swept into the lead on the start after the demise of Tilley and Constable. The former made contact with the barrier, whilst the latter limped into the pit lane with a damaged front wheel. Once at the head of the pack White stretched his legs, but the fight over second raged between four drivers, in what brought about an epic close to the race. Taylor managed to finish second after fending off Kirby, who finished third but lost his door in the process. Wilmot and Robinson rounded out the top five after a fantastic bit of racing.